Friday, September 09, 2005

Katrina: Playing the blam game

I originally posted this breif thought as a response to another blog, see http://www.kendallball.net/archives/20050909/pointing-fingers/ I do not know what it is like to loose everything in a natural disaster, be displaced without a home, be separated from loved ones, and even be facing the reality that some of my loved ones have perished as a result of this tragedy… but I do know what it is like to suffer tragedy. I have buried a son and a younger brother within the last three years. At both furnerals, I heard people who wanted to speculate on the resonsibility for such tragedy (in my case the discussion was either God, incompetent Doctors, and people). I wish they all would SHUT UP! They are not helpful in the least way possible and they do not help me one bit in the process of living life “one step at a time” after such a tragedy.
My point: would those, from the right and left, who just want to speculate on whose to blame just keep your thoughts to your self because you are not helping anyone who is suffering. What has happened cannot be undone, and no matter how much blame can be placed upon one person or group, it will not change the past events one bit—nor will it help the survivors of Katrina go one living in the furture. After the rebuilding of their lives has become more of a tangible reality, then there will be an opportunity to discuss what went wrong and what needs to be improved for the future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really appriciate your post and perspective.

Shawn Griffith said...

I quit listening. I have not heard any coverage on Katrina because of this very issue. We are still counting the dead and already people are pointing fingers. No doubt things need to change, no doubt this tragedy revealed the issue of poverty, no doubt that people messed up. But, Rex, you're right, now is a time to build up and edify those who are hurting so bad. Seems to me that, at this time, the attention which is so vehemently focused on blaming, is wasted and that attention and energy can be better focused on helping.

I appreciate you comments!!

Anonymous said...

I remember the Apostles coming on a blind man and asking Jesus who sinned, him or his parents. Normally, the answer is translated something like, "It was neither that this man sinned nor his parents, but so that the glory of God might be displayed in him." Try something. Get a Bible that uses italics for words not in the original text, but supplied to smooth the English (NASB and KJV both do this, and maybe the RSV), I believe the passage is John 9. Keep in mind that NT Greek MSS originally had no puctuation. You have this - "Neither this man sinned nor his parents. But that the work of God might be displayed in him, as long as it is day, we must do the works of God." Even without this interesting alternate translation, Jesus doesn't play the blame game. It's the same in Luke 12:54-13:5, the crowd apparantly felt that sin was due to the disaster of the tower of Siloam, but Jesus shifts the focus off of that to them.