Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cindy Sheenan, the mother who became a war critic and crusader for peace after her son Casey died in the Iraq war, had this to say as part of her reason for no longer fighting for peace.

"Casey died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives."

While there are certainly exceptions (and I have met people who would not fall into the accusation of Mrs. Sheenan, there seems to be a lot of truth to this statement. Regardless of your beliefs about the war in Iraq (and I do have mine), she tells the truth about a nation fattened by its own excess, power, and greed.

4 comments:

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Great quote. Sometimes we "Americans" are very apathetic people. We don't give a d%mn about the Iraqis or anyone else just as long as our lives are not inconvenienced. Sheehan, while I disagree with here on many things, is in my view right.

Thanks for coming by my blog btw. Glad to have you.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

K. Rex Butts said...

Yeah, I too happen to disagree with Cindy Sheenan and her approach in many ways despite the fact that I am opposed to this war.

Adam Gonnerman said...

Rex, you found my blog the other day and remembered me from HSBS. Why don't you drop me an e-mail at the address on my blog profile so we can catch up on things?

David Johnson said...

Amazing, Rex. Simply amazing find. And the sad thing is that she's absolutely correct.